forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r366100 - in /forrest/trunk/main: fresh-site/forrest.properties template-sites/basic/forrest.properties template-sites/benchmark/forrest.properties template-sites/business/forrest.properties template-sites/v3/forrest.properti
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:07:43 GMT
El jue, 05-01-2006 a las 16:14 +0100, Cyriaque Dupoirieux escribió:
> Tim Williams a écrit :

> >>I'm not sure this is a good idea. Many users discover how to change
> >>things in Forrest by reading this document from their seeded site.
> >>
> >>If we are going to go for a minimal version like this (which certainly
> >>looks less scary) we need a doc to detail the changes that are possible,
> >>and we need the minimal file to point to that doc.
> >>
> >>Ross
> >>

> >I prefer having the beefier properties file vs minimal pointing to a
> >detailed doc.  I liken our properties file to httpd.conf where I would
> >be lost if they didn't have all of the directives in there commented
> >out and well-described.  I also suspect this will lead new folks to
> >making changes to webapp\default-forrest.properties because that's
> >where they happen to see the keys they want to change.  At least those
> >of us who follow the LBPA (learn by poking around) method.
> >
> >--tim
> >

> I also agree, It's a little bit like commented java or xsl sources is
> better than separated long design document...
> (But separated doc is also needed ;-) )
>
> Salutations,
> Cyriaque,

You are all right but I see why David has done this. Right now we have
to keep x template-sites forrest.properties (under some other files) in
sync. That is overkill in the near future.

The solution David has chosen you still can define your minimum
configuration even if you just override one property. Besides he added a
nice header that you can add any given property again by looking up the
fresh-site file (we everything is pretty much described).

Another way is to define a svn:ext. Meaning all template sites would
keep the blown away properties to play around but we as project have to
maintain only one (e.g. the one from fresh-site).

I am unsure which way is better but for e.g. the basic seed David commit
is definitely the way to go. ;-)

salu2
--
thorsten