forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: theme package template (was Re: [proposal] Distributing themes)
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:04:06 GMT
El mié, 04-01-2006 a las 10:33 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >>What overhead? Specifics please.
> >>

> > You would just need
> > forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.theme.Coat/src/documentation/resources/themes/coat/*
forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.theme.Coat/src/documentation/resources/themes/coat.fv

> > everything else is overhead.
>
> Sure, everything else is optional in the plugin installation process, or
> can easily be made optional, it's just a modification of the ant script.
>
> However, don't forget the docs stuff. I want to see decent docs for
> themes too.
>
> Your suggestion of adding docs to the themer directory plugin does not
> work since this means all themes have to be hosted here at Forrest.

Why?

The documentation/samples is/could be in the *themes* package. Like:
org.apache.forrest.themes.X/x/samples/...

...and of course in the contracts - the main documentation location for
a theme!

> We
> need a mechanism that allows local sites to use their own themes, and
> hopefully publish them as well.

Yeah, IMO we should extend the http://localhost:8888/ls.contracts.html
to include all available contracts. The documentation about a theme
should be mainly in the contracts - self explaining and standalone!!!

Besides this documentation every theme could provide additional
information, but all this could be done with the above root or directly
in contracts.

> >>Note that I already addressed the point about docs, which should be
> >>removed from the download and packaged separately. This is easily done
> >>by adding an <exclude...> pattern to the ant script.
> >>
> >>Note that things like input.xmap, locationmap.xml etc. are only used if
> >>they are present.
> >>

> > Yeah, this sentence made me think whether we want to allow themes to
> > provide a sitemap.xmap?
>
> I don't think so, as you say a theme is *.fv and *.css files.

and contracts.

> If a theme
> needs to do processing of the data then it is really an output plugin
> isn't it? However, keeping the download mechanism the same gives us
> flexibility should a use case for arise.

agree

> >>The plugin download mechanism *is* the original skin download mechanism
> >>(with versioning added).
> >>

> > Yeah, but the problem with using it directly as plugin is that the list
> > of required plugins is growing to the unreadable.
>
> We don't have to list it as a plugin. Different naming convention,
> different descriptor file, different index page, same download mechanism.

ok, that sounds good, because the easiest thing would be that all themes
get extracted to *one* dir like build/themes/... This way it would be
very easy to have the documentation of all installed plugins in the
project, including the contract documentation.

> > Anyway I am fine with using plugins directly but with another template
> > like you suggested in your other reply to David.
> >
> > My suggestion for a theme template would be:
> >
> > org.apache.forrest.theme.X/sitemap.xmap (optional -> I am not even sure
> > whether we should allow that)
> > org.apache.forrest.theme.X/themes/x.fv
> > org.apache.forrest.theme.X/themes/x/*
> >
> > or
> >
> > org.apache.forrest.themes.X/x.fv
> > org.apache.forrest.themes.X/x/*
> >
> > That is optimized with nearly no overhead.
> >
> > BTW actually I changed the convention because a theme does not only have
> > to provide just *one* theme, but it can provide as many themes as it
> > wishes. It is a package of themes.
>
> +1

:)

Ok we have an overall agreement besides the documentation part. Nice.
How can I set up the basic infrastructure for this new type of plugin?

> Ross

salu2
--
thorsten