forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject theme package template (was Re: [proposal] Distributing themes)
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:53:41 GMT
El mar, 03-01-2006 a las 14:14 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> > Resuming all above, I am with you that we need a system to package
> > themes and make them downloadable but disagree about the overhead to do
> > it with a plugin.
>
> What overhead? Specifics please.

You would just need
forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.theme.Coat/src/documentation/resources/themes/coat/*
forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.theme.Coat/src/documentation/resources/themes/coat.fv

everything else is overhead.

> Note that I already addressed the point about docs, which should be
> removed from the download and packaged separately. This is easily done
> by adding an <exclude...> pattern to the ant script.
>
> Note that things like input.xmap, locationmap.xml etc. are only used if
> they are present.

Yeah, this sentence made me think whether we want to allow themes to
provide a sitemap.xmap?

> > I agree as well on the naming convention, so how can we use the old
> > fashion skin download mechanism for themes?
>
> The plugin download mechanism *is* the original skin download mechanism
> (with versioning added).

Yeah, but the problem with using it directly as plugin is that the list
of required plugins is growing to the unreadable.

Anyway I am fine with using plugins directly but with another template
like you suggested in your other reply to David.

My suggestion for a theme template would be:

org.apache.forrest.theme.X/sitemap.xmap (optional -> I am not even sure
whether we should allow that)
org.apache.forrest.theme.X/themes/x.fv
org.apache.forrest.theme.X/themes/x/*

or

org.apache.forrest.themes.X/x.fv
org.apache.forrest.themes.X/x/*

That is optimized with nearly no overhead.

BTW actually I changed the convention because a theme does not only have
to provide just *one* theme, but it can provide as many themes as it
wishes. It is a package of themes.

salu2
--
thorsten