forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject Re: Best way to add repeatable code in v2/v3 (was Re: Example usecase)
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:06:14 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thorsten Scherler" <thorsten@apache.org>
To: <dev@forrest.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 1:19 AM
Subject: Re: Best way to add repeatable code in v2/v3 (was Re: Example
usecase)

<snip>

| <forrest:contract name="content-include-html">
|    <forrest:properties contract="content-include-html">
|      <forrest:property name="content-include-html"
| nugget="get.nugget.include.html">
|        <jx:import uri="cocoon://includes.rightbar.html"/>
|      </forrest:property>
|    </forrest:properties>
| </forrest:contract>
|
| ...but be aware that this contract expect a <div id="content"/>:
| <xsl:copy-of select="$content-include-html//div[@id='content']/*"/>

As I said in another mail, I could not get this to work, but doesn't
matter now anyway, thought I'd mention it in case the problem
was was also a sympton for something else.

| > Alternative I thought of would be to create a contract for it. Although
| > can see how to
| > create a contract, not sure again on the best way of approaching it.
Maybe
| > doing a similar
| > thing as including the body from say index.xml but using
| > rightnavcontent.xml, use jx: ??
| >

| Actually I think in your case it would makes sense to create a contract.
|
| Now you have different options to implement it.
|
| 1) controlled by the structurer
| You can use the genericMarkup.ft
| <forrest:contract name="genericMarkup">
| <forrest:properties contract="genericMarkup">
|  <forrest:property name="genericMarkup">
|    <h5>Sponsor This Site!</h5>
|  </forrest:property>
| </forrest:properties>
| </forrest:contract>
|
| You would do this if the code is added to all pages and actually does
| not change too much.

I have done this and works fine, http://apache.minitutorials.com/ is
updated.

As soon as you change it on a regular basis and
| would need to have different code on different pages it makes sense to
|
| 2) create a custom business service
| A custom business service is an extension of forrest core data models.
| In the dataModel.xmap you can find the core models. You can add your own
| service to your project sitemap. Like:
| <map:match pattern="includes.rightbar.**.xml">
| <map:generate src="{project:resources}/includes/rightbar/{1}.xml" />
| <map:serialize type="xml"/>
| </map:match>
|
| This assumes that you move to xml instead of html output (remember you
| can use html like grammar in xml).
|
| Now you could define the contract like:
| <forrest:contract name="content-include-rightbar">
|    <forrest:properties contract="content-include-rightbar">
|      <forrest:property name="content-include-rightbar"
| nugget="get.nugget.include.rightbar">
|        <jx:import
| uri="cocoon://includes.rightbar.#{$cocoon/parameters/getRequest}.xml"/>
|      </forrest:property>
|    </forrest:properties>
| </forrest:contract>
|
| and the contract:
|      <xsl:template name="content-include-rightbar-body" >
|        <xsl:param name="content-include-rightbar"/>
|        <xsl:copy-of
|          select="$content-include-rightbar/*"/>
|      </xsl:template>

I have been looking at this only in them email and not tried yet
to implement it. I just can not see at the moment how to use this
to apply slightly varying content to different pages.

For instance, look at the right hand side of
http://www.minitutorials.com/apache/apacheindex.shtml.

There is a 'This page sponsored by' div and then below it is another
div with the sponsor image and info. This div is the only div that will be
different on all pages. Everything else on the right hand side will be
exactly the same for the whole site.

So this custom business service 'sounds' like what I need, just I can't
see how to implement it.

Does anyone have any ideas on the how ?

Thorsten, I know you have a real work-load on, so just say 'too busy'
if you like and I'll look a bit deeper into it myself.

Thanks

Gav...

| HTH
| salu2