forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject Re: Best way to add repeatable code in v2/v3 (was Re: Exampleusecase)
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:59:12 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thorsten Scherler" <thorsten@apache.org>
To: <dev@forrest.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: Best way to add repeatable code in v2/v3 (was Re:
Exampleusecase)

<snip >

| > | <forrest:hook name="headlines"></forrest:hook>
| > | creates
| > |
| > | and <forrest:hook name="headlines" nbsp="true"></forrest:hook>
| > | gives
| > |
| > | We need to document this in the howto, but self enclosing divs are
| > | default in the dispatcher, no bug!
| >
| > Thats fine, I will send in a patch to document this. I can not really
| > think of a situation (except in testing) where I would want an
| > empty div anyway, but came across it so mentioned it.
|
| Actually since Cyriaque and yourself seem to prefer that the default
| behavior would be non enclosing divs we can change the default
| behavior.
|
| wdyt?

I have found another reason why it is best to close these divs properly.

e.g.

 <forrest:contract name="content-abstract">
            <forrest:properties contract="content-abstract">
              <forrest:property name="content-abstract"
nugget="get.abstract">
                <jx:import
uri="cocoon://#{$cocoon/parameters/getRequest}.abstract.xml"/>
              </forrest:property>
            </forrest:properties>
 </forrest:contract>

If there is content to return into this content-abstract request then that
is fine, on pages where there may not be any content available to return,
then the contract is blank. This creates a <div class="abstract" /> . It so
happens that most style sheets I looked at give the abstract div an 'italic'
font-style. Because the div is not closed properly, the rest of the content
(content-main, content-minitoc-area etc.. ) that follows this self-closed
div are also outputting the 'italic' font-style.

I looked for ages as to why my main content was italic, its because I have
no abtract-content in the xml source to give.

I suppose one has to decide to either use a contract like this for all pages
or for none.

Gav...