forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject Re: Example use case.
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:28:10 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Crossley" <crossley@apache.org>
To: <dev@forrest.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: Example use case.

| Paul Bolger wrote:
| > Ross
| >
| > This relates to an issue I've been thinking about for a while. If one
| > had a pile of html and wanted to convert the docs to Forrest internal
| > format, and then convert them back into html as a Forrest generated
| > site presumably leaving the source documents in their original
| > location would result in Forrest reconverting them whenever one of
| > them was requested - which would slow things down quite a lot. As you
| > would only really want this done once what would be the best way to
| > approach a 'once-off' conversion' - run forrest once in 'build' mode,
| > delete (or whatever) the original docs and then run Forrest in 'run'
| > mode?

This is what I had in mind, rather than Incubator style using html docs I
wanted to convert my existing into forrest source xml.
Thanks for putting it a better way!

| I would do it as a once-off conversion.
|
| If you are using old "skins" then set disable-xml-link=false
| in forrest.properties file. If using Dispatcher then
| this is enabled by default in this development phase.
|
| Do 'forrest site' to generate everything.

This is more difficult for me I think. I have an index.php page
and a few others, the rest are .shtml pages. All of them 'include'
the main navigation which is in a separate nav.inc file. Forrest
is not therefore finding the navigation and not linking the site
properly.

There was mention that forrest can parse PHP, did I get this
wrong? Also I guess it wont parse the .shtml files either.

Doing a forrest site does not produce any .xml files.

So this is the stage where I am at. I am thinking I should
remove any PHP requirements for now and rename them
to html extension. Then add back in to each page to each
page (using f & r) the navigation -- or should I be putting
my site navigation into the tabs.xml file -- or is there
another way to inlcude the nav.inc file.

Thanks

Gav...

| Perhaps you want to temporarily change forrest.properties
| to set a different location for project.site-dir
|
| That will generate the set of xml documents.
| They will be in document-v1.3 format rather than
| document-v2.0 because the former is still Forrest's
| internal format.
|
| Now copy those new sources from build/site/ into your
| src/documentation/xdocs/ space and remove the *.html
| versions. That will cause forrest to find the *.xml
| (i think that it searches for a .html source first
| then looks for a .xml source).
|
| That is basically how i did it for the Incubator
| site conversion, except i wrote a new output plugin
| to get the special output format.
|
| -David
|

| --
18/01/2006