forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject Re: Best way to add repeatable code in v2/v3 (was Re: Example use case)
Date Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:09:11 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross Gardler" <rgardler@apache.org>
To: <dev@forrest.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 2:00 AM
Subject: [spam score=82%] Re: Best way to add repeatable code in v2/v3 (was
Re: Example use case)

| Gav.... wrote:
| > Hi All,
| >
| > On the right hand side of http://minitutorials.com I have some
'headlines'
| > in a 'headlines' div
| > All boxes are in a 'rightbar' div also.
| > The code for this is in One file called rightnav.ssi and included using
| > either 'include' or 'require'
| > This obviously has the effect that all of the site pages get the content
| > from the one file.

| > 3. The html code required I transfered from rightnav.ssi into
rightnav.html
| > and put this file
| > into xdocs directory. I am hoping that the <url>/rightbar.html</url> is
| > therefore correct.
| >
| > 4. Didn't see what else I would need to do, so did a 'forrest run' , did
not
| > show up.
| >     Also did a ForrestBot onto the web server, also does not show up.
| >
| > So, this did not work, the question is, have I done something wrong,
missed
| > something out
| > or is there a different/better way to include content into the
'headlines'
| > hook ?
|
| I've not checked your syntax as I am not familiar enough with these
| contracts to see it without cross-checking with the documentation, which
| I assume you have done. Others will be better at spotting syntax errors.

It seems correct from the docs I could find. The docs do specify that
the included file needs to be a forrest generated html source file. Putting
in rightnav.html into xdocs doesn't seem to be enough, as it is not being
linked to from anywhere (apart from this contract), then I guess it is
not being generated - a rightnav.html does not get reproduced into
a generated site.

| Assuming syntax is correct. Have you verified that requesting
| "http://localhost:8888/rightbar.html" actually returns some code?

No it doesn't, I get a can not find rightbar.xml error

| The other thing is that I wrote this contract for V1. There have been
| many changes since then, including the use of JX. I'm not sure if this
| is still the "right" way to include content.

It seems most of the newer contracts are using JX, maybe v2/v3 need
it to be this way. Any mention of JX on the forrest site says to refer
to cocoon docs for howto's , I don't really want to start wandering
in that direction though.

| > Alternative I thought of would be to create a contract for it. Although
| > can see how to
| > create a contract, not sure again on the best way of approaching it.
Maybe
| > doing a similar
| > thing as including the body from say index.xml but using
| > rightnavcontent.xml, use jx: ??
|
| See above - we need a views savvy dev to advise here.

Good idea, I'll wait for them to wake up and flood the list :)

| > (Re-reading the above, I see at least (at last ?)  I have suggestions,
so
| > must be learning something!)
|
| :-) and you're teaching those of us still trying to get to grips with
| views (when I taught at Universities I always used to learn loads by
| doing the labs when students would ask me why their code behaved this
| way or that way).
|
| > P.S-
| >
| > Creating an empty hook has the side effect of a self closing div -
obviously
| > inlvalid and messes
| > up the rest of the page.
|
| Raise an issue (if there isn't one already, this is ringing a bell
| somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind).

I will raise an issue, I had a good look for one but could not
find a relevent one.

Gav...

| Ross
|

| --