forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: forrest:hook vs. direct markup - should we drop the hook concept?
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:20:17 GMT
On 12/2/05, Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,

I've unfortunately been too busy to properly keep up with all of your
progress so this may not be worth much.

> lately we proposed a new attribute @element for the forrest:hook
> element. Now it is possible to have any markup as hook.

I didn't catch this but now that I understand it, it makes me think
that we might be letting our templating language make too many
assumptions about the output (e.g. that it is markup).  Same thing for
the new hooksXPath attribute. How are these supportive of non-markup
output formats like text/rtf?

> That made me think:
> - why do we want to have forrest:hooks instead of direct markup?

To keep it independent of a specific output format - an generic
container that only has a "div" meaning when the view @type="html"?

> - what are the advantages of forrest:hooks?

I don't know -- it's been a while since I've looked into the details
of this stuff but I think they are needed to group contracts together
since contracts can't contain other contracts.

> - would it not be sufficient to have forrest:view and forrest:contract?

If you had two contracts that needed the same output style how could
you do it without having a hook to contain them?

> I will later post my views before I hear some opinions.

I reckon I think the hooks are needed, but that's based on a dated
understanding of this stuff.  Since you are asking the question, I
gather that you might believe that it could be done without hooks and
I trust that.  I am interested in hearing your thoughts on how tightly
bound our templating language (*fv) to a markup output though.  I
haven't looked at your newer java stuff yet to see if those new
attributes are required or not.  Sorry for not being able to keep up
with you on this stuff so that you can get some more valuable feedback
-- you're simply moving too fast for me right now;)
--tim