forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: slide plugin: s5 or w3c?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:05:54 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> We have the s5 plugin to produce slides and I have a lot of local
>> changes sitting on my HD. Ross mentioned that there is sth from w3c.
>>
>> Is it this? http://www.w3.org/Talks/Tools/
>> Has anyone investigated further? Licenses for the mentioned tools?
>> Has anybody already started an output plug-in? Wish list?
>
> The tool in question is Slidy.

Thought it would be.

> It has better features than the s5 slides
> and is I believe) licence compatible.

Can someone confirm this?

> Ferdinand has done some work on this, but he has yet to commit that
> work. There was quite a bit of discussion about his approach which was
> to bypass the core of Forrest and was objected to by a couple of devs.
>
> I've been holding off finding a home for the s5 plugin because Ferdinand
> wanted to implement the slidy thing. He committed (and later deleted)
> some stuff in revision 344062 - for an input schema [1] and and a slidy
> output schema [2].

I'll try to see that.
Ferdinand, can you comment?!

> Although this was deleted I think that was a rash move.
>
> There are some great ideas in there, it's just the concept of bypassing
> Forrest core that we objected to [3]. Unfortunately this issue was never
> resolved, and the result was a removal of the plugins in the face of
> objections.

I would not like to bypass Forrest, but rather use slidy as another
way of output. So, preparing a presentation would be like writing a
document but putting in some special classes. This gives a nice
handout.

> I'm sure a suitable approach can be found, e.g. do the same as we do in
> every other input/output combination and go via core. However, Ferdinand
> felt this was not the case, although he failed to explain, in a way that
> others could understand, why this was so. Perhaps someone else working
> on it will help.
>
>> Background: I'll prepare a tutorial about XML and would like to do
>> it in Forrest (my experiences were good: http://tinyurl.com/8s9pn)
>
> As you know the problem with the s5 plugin is the GPL code it uses.  I'd
> be happy to put the s5 plugin in the Burrokeet project on Sourceforge
> and give you commit access there, just let me know (don't forget to tell
> me your SF username).
>
> If you have the time/inclination I'd prefer to see Ferdinands work
> revived and we use the slidy code - license compatible and more functional.

I would prefer something stable that comes as a forrest option
without any catch (such as the GPL).

I'd hope that some of my work carries over.

> Just let me know which you want to do.

Let's see what Ferdinand says.
Johannes

> Ross
>
> [1]
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.smartSlides/?rev=344062
>

> [2]
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.smartSlides/?rev=344062
>

> [3]
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=113178675502313&w=2

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 *
D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de