forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: releasing forrest 0.7.1 (Re: Releasing plugins (Re: svn commit: r358073 - /forrest/branches/forrest_07_branch/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplifiedDocbook/resources/stylesheets/sdocbook2document.xsl))
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:07:17 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> I was wondering if updates to released versions get "built"
> and result in a new "binary" to download.
>
> I do *not* mean plugins here (see discussion below),
> I mean changes to forrest core.

Ahhhh... I musinderstood.

> Other OO projects do so, e.g. if there is a security issue
> (e.g. Firefox 1.0.7, then 1.5).

Yes, the key point is thet there needs to be a compelling reason to do
it. There is considerable effort involved with doing a release it is not
simply a case of packaging and making it available for download.

> When should such an update be done?
> For critical bugs? After each "minor" comitt (like mine today)?

My opinion would be critical bugs. Minor commits would wait until the
next "major" release.

Of course, if an individual dev has a personal/business reason for doing
a release and they are willing to put the effort in, it is unlikely that
anyone would object. However, most devs (well, only me for certain)
would prefer to focus on 0.8 rather than spend time on a 0.7.1 release

(unless there is a critical issue involved).

Ross