forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject releasing forrest 0.7.1 (Re: Releasing plugins (Re: svn commit: r358073 - /forrest/branches/forrest_07_branch/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplifiedDocbook/resources/stylesheets/sdocbook2document.xsl))
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:04:08 GMT

I was wondering if updates to released versions get "built"
and result in a new "binary" to download.

I do *not* mean plugins here (see discussion below),
I mean changes to forrest core.

Other OO projects do so, e.g. if there is a security issue
(e.g. Firefox 1.0.7, then 1.5).

When should such an update be done?
For critical bugs? After each "minor" comitt (like mine today)?

Johannes

Ross Gardler schrieb:
> [...]
>>

>> I've seen some of the discussion.
>> We'll need to relate the plugins to (released) versions of forrest.
>

> That is already done (see forrest version number in plugins build.xml)
>
>>> However, it can still be used without a release. Let me explain.
>>>
>>> The current version of SVN head doesn't use plugins in-place yet. But
>>> what it does do is deploy the plugins from local src directories if they
>>> are not currently installed and no version number is provided for the
>>> plugin in forrest.properties.
>>>
>>> In addition, we can release unversioned copies of the plugin, which will
>>> then be installed to those users without the src. However, this is the
>>> part of the release process we have not yet fully worked out.
>>>
>>> So, what do you want to achieve? Continue the discussion down whichever
>>> of the above avenues you need to, lets work out the relevant process.
>>

>> We use forrest at customer's sites and I simply would like to point
>> them to the download page and say: get the latest release (update).
>> It's hard talking them into svn and stuff :-)
>

> If no vbersion number is supplied Forrest will always, automatically,
> download the most recent version of the plugin for the version of
> Forrest being run.
>
> However, you should be aware that this may be a development version as
> things currently stand. I have been thinking of changing the behaviour
> slightly, so that if no version is specified the most recent *released*
> version is installed, if "-dev" is specified then the most recent
> development version is specified.
>
> There is no need for the user to download anything. Forrest will do that
> automatically (unless there is an issue with write permissions or proxies).
>
>> So, are the updates to the released forrest-0.7 brought back to the
>> binary distribution at http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi ?
>>
>> As far as I see: No.
>

> No, as I said before, the plugins are not mirrored. They are only
> available from the plugin download site [2], Forrest *automatically*
> retrieves them from there (but note, they are not upgraded
> automatically, the user has to delete the installed plugins for the
> upgrade to occur - another todo item [3]).
>
> To get plugins onto the plugin site it must be deployed. However, when
> and how we can do this has not yet been fully agreed.
>
> I just changed the plugin build system slightly. It is now possible to
> deploy a plugin or to release it. Deploying only uploads the
> unversioned, i.e. development, copy to the download server. Releasing
> uploads a versioned copy.
>
> This means that you can now safely do "ant deploy" for the docbook plugin.
>
> You update will be used by 0.7 Forrest (assuming that you have not
> broken backward compatability and therefore not updated the minimum
> Forrest version number). To have your clients update all they need to do
> is delete FORREST_HOME/build/plugins/PLUGIN_NAME and run Forrest as normal.
>
> I hope this is getting clearer to us all, me included ;-)

yes, much clearer.
Will pose another question in new thread.
js

> Ross
>
> [1]
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/plugins/RELEASE_PROCESS.txt
> [2] http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/
> [3] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-343

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 *
D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de