forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r358073 - /forrest/branches/forrest_07_branch/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplifiedDocbook/resources/stylesheets/sdocbook2document.xsl
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:07:17 GMT
Ross Gardler schrieb:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>
>> Do these changes get back to the downloadable version?
>>   http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi#closest
>

> First of all, the plugins are not downloaded via the mirrors (this is
> something that we need to address at some point, but this is not too
> urgent since the plugins are typically very small).
>
> Secondly, plugins have a different release cycle from Forrest core. So
> these changes will only make it into the distributed version when we
> make a release of the plugin.

Just to understand: if I'll break forrest 0.7 with a change to some
plugin I'll need to create a new version of it?

> How do we make a release? We're still in the process of specifying this.
> However, it will be essentially the same as a release for core, i.e.
> someone proposes it for a release, we vote, we release or not according
> to the vote.

I've seen some of the discussion.
We'll need to relate the plugins to (released) versions of forrest.

> However, it can still be used without a release. Let me explain.
>
> The current version of SVN head doesn't use plugins in-place yet. But
> what it does do is deploy the plugins from local src directories if they
> are not currently installed and no version number is provided for the
> plugin in forrest.properties.
>
> In addition, we can release unversioned copies of the plugin, which will
> then be installed to those users without the src. However, this is the
> part of the release process we have not yet fully worked out.
>
> So, what do you want to achieve? Continue the discussion down whichever
> of the above avenues you need to, lets work out the relevant process.

We use forrest at customer's sites and I simply would like to point
them to the download page and say: get the latest release (update).
It's hard talking them into svn and stuff :-)

So, are the updates to the released forrest-0.7 brought back to the
binary distribution at http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi ?

As far as I see: No.
If yes we would need sub-versions like 0.7.2, right?

Johannes

> Ross

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 *
D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de