forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: dispatcher documentation (Was: submitting patches)
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:09:04 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Paul Bolger wrote:
>
>>Thanks David, I'll try that next time. I'm intending to write up those
>>css linking rules, if I can work out what the current status is!
>

>>I'm
>>wondering whether a 'views quick reference' page would be appropriate.
>

> Good idea, but call it Dispatcher.
>
> This could link in with the main Glossary. Or perhaps
> the new Glossary plugin be able to restrict output to
> certain topics.
>
> We always start to invent new tools when we talk about
> documentation. That Glossary plugin sounds easy, Ross has
> added the resources but not built a plugin. So if you feel
> up to following the Howto-buildPlugin then try that.
> It would teach you heaps about Forrest.

Yeah it is easy. To be honest I am leaving it for someone looking for a
"lower" barrier to entry to a major contribution ;-)

Of course, I'm more than happy to answer questions on it and to clarify
what actually needs to be done, just ask.

> However, it would be be fine to just start with a simple
> manual document for now and we can extract that info later.

Or a document that conforms to the Glossary DTD in the plugin, attached
to the issue. That is likely to push me to create the plugin itself ;-)

>>Also, I'm finding the 0.8 docs are getting a bit cumbersome: we have
>>'views development' in the top level index, and dispatcher in the
>>howtos; and 'old views' as well. I think it would be a good idea to
>>standardise on some terminology (and the v1, v2 etc is as good as
>>anything right now). How about we rename 'old views' to v1 and add a
>>v3 section?
>

> It needs a complete cleanup. We need to rationalise
> the current documentation and remove the old documentation
> completely. When we release 0.8 then we will only have
> one implementation of Dispatcher, i.e. current development.
>
> So the old v1 and "views" documentation will go away.

Also I think dispathcher docs should be in the plugin until they become
part of core. I don't understand why we have pluign docs in core. It is
confusing to users.

Ross