forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: locationmap logging
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:59:36 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> The new locationmap logging is great, thanks.
> Now we get a lot of errors from the core which we
> can gradually fix.
> Many of those are caused by mounting the plugins
> locationmap. This is generated by Ant when the
> plugins are configured. It puts in a mount for every
> plugin, even if a plugins doesn't have a locationmap.
> Then later we get the errors about it not existing:
> "Unable to build LocationMap".
> I was going to adjust targets/plugins so that at
> configure time it would conditionally add an entry.
> That works.

Cool - perhaps an <echo> from ANT telling us whether a locationmap was
provided would also help in debugging startup problems.

> However, does this break the plans for using plugins
> in place? If your plugins are happily running without
> a locationmap and then you decide to add one, should
> not need to stop/restart.

I think that should be noted in the "in place" issue [1] - right now we
are not doing in-place and I'm not sure when I'll be able to. So a short
term fix to reduce the errors in the logs is fine by me.

In fact, at present the locationmap caching prevents the them being
reloaded when they change anyway - thus it forces a restart [2]. So we
have other, similar, issues to fix here anyway.

> Perhaps we should not log errors for missing locationmaps.

We could do that, it simply requires checking the root cause of the
failure before we throw our exception.

> Or perhaps a locationmap be mandatory for every plugin.

-1 the locationmap timestamp will (eventually) be checked frequently
against its cache. For performance we would be better sticking to only
providing one if it is used.

View raw message