forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Processing properties in Forrest core (was Re: svn commit: r355634 - /forrest/trunk/site-author/forrest.properties.xml)
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:15:26 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El vie, 09-12-2005 a las 23:07 +0000, rgardler@apache.org escribi├│:
>
>>Author: rgardler
>>Date: Fri Dec  9 15:07:30 2005
>>New Revision: 355634

>>Log:
>>no longer need forrest.properties.xml as plugin will now provide defaults - only need
this if you want behaviour other than the default

>>Removed:
>>    forrest/trunk/site-author/forrest.properties.xml
>>

> How can I request all available properties (default and specific)?
> cocoon://┬┐?

Right now you can't get the various values. There is only one property
recorded - the one to actually use. The defaults are not recorded,
unless they are the ones to use.

However, this can be changed.

The processing of the properties is done in [1]

The first value for a given property is the one we record, so we load
the various config files in the following order:

- PROJECT_HOME/forrest.properties.xml (experimental)
- PROJECT_HOME/forrest.properties (may be deprecated)
- PLUGIN_HOME/default.plugin.properties.xml (experimental)
   - iterate over all active plugins
- FORREST_HOME/default.forrest.properties.xml (experimental)
- FORREST_HOME/default.forrest.properties (may be deprecated)

What you could do is modify [1] to record each of those files in a
separate properties collection and provide a special property request
for getting a default value.

For example:

{forrest:default.PROPERTYNAME}

would give the default rather than the user supplied one. To enable this
all you would have to do is modify getAttribute(...) in [1] to detect
this special request and process accordingly.

If you do this we need to make this part of the naming convention so
that no property can start with the word "default". There is no
documentation for this system yet, but I am tracking things via [2]
Please be sure to include this issue number in any commits and add notes
to the documentation task associated with that issue.

Ross

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/main/java/org/apache/forrest/conf/ForrestConfModule.java
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-739