forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Plugin development/release cycle
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:38:24 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Thanks for thinking out aloud. That certainly helps.
>

>>User Testing
>>------------
>>
>>Bleeding edge users can use the latest *released* development version by
>>omitting a version number. Note they do *not* use the trunk version
>>unless Forrest is able to find the trunk source locally, in which case
>>it will use that version.
>>
>>To move a plugin into the user testing phase we will need to deploy the
>>plugin as a dev version.
>>
>>Release
>>-------
>>
>>After a suitable period of user testing we release the plugin, making it
>>available as a new version number. The "careful" users can then choose
>>to upgrade their version numbers or not.
>

> So when we release a plugin then we increment its
> version number in the forrest.properties of the
> template "seed" sites. At release time, they will
> be declaring specific release numbers, and users
> take it from there. Is that the idea? Sounds good.

That's the idea, yes.

> How do people know when new versions of the plugins
> are available? At least we would add to top-level status.xml
> so that it gets listed on the changes.html page.
>
> Do we make an actual announcement too?

I would say, yes. People can also subscribe to the changes.rss feed in
the plugin docs.

> http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#actions
> The project is supposed to vote on a "Product release".
> That action was written with the traditional "Release"
> in mind (i.e. 0.7 then 0.8). I wonder if it should
> apply to our plugins too.

Yes, I would say that is sensible. We have already seen how releasing a
plugin causes problems. Requiring vote will ensure a little more
oversight. However, since many people will not be using the plugin we
should make it a simple consensus vote.

Ross