forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: slide plugin: s5 or w3c?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:48:20 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:

> >>The tool in question is Slidy.
> >
> >Thought it would be.
> >
> >>It has better features than the s5 slides
> >>and is I believe) licence compatible.
> >
> >Can someone confirm this?
>
> If nobody here responds we'll have to ask on legal@a.o I'm pretty sure
> this has come up before (its under the w3c license)

The list is legal-discuss@a.o

I searched the archives and found one mention of the
license. Cliff is still formulating the FAQ document,
but the discussion in that thread does not sound good.
However, it is an old message and other discussions
about the general ASF license situation have happened
elsewhere since then.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200510.mbox/
See the first in the list:
"Plans for Apache Licensing Policy"

We already have stuff under a W3C license: DTDs and RELAX NG.
main/webapp/resources/schema/
lib/core/w3c-dtd-license.txt

However, just because we already have it, that does not
make it correct to distribute. I thought that it was
at the time, but now not so sure.

Anyway, i would prefer to wait for Cliff's FAQ doc
which might be after the next Board meeting in late
January.

If someone really wants to get going sooner, then
a specific question to legal-discuss@ might help.

-David