forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject avoiding unnecessary changes in output formatting
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 01:27:18 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Tim Williams schrieb:

> >>Is this necessary? The extra space does not do any harm.
> >>If "Yes", I'll update my recent comitts accordingly.
> >>Sorry for not noticing/reviewing earlier.
> >
> > I think this came up because it caused unexpected changes in the
> > forrestbot build to our docs.  Someone will let us know if I'm wrong.
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=113384565318583&w=2
>
> wow! small change big effect!
> Will do my best to avoid extra spaces, then.
> Thanks for the link.

Yeah, when i saw our huge commit message for the generated
docs i had visions of our users. Many users have the
generated docs in version control. So it is important to
keep the diffs minimal.

Complaints are already heard on other lists about the
verbose html output from Forrest.

Part of their problem is committers not configuring their
svn clients properly, so they see diffs to PDFs too.

We have improved a lot lately with our CSS-based design.

We had a discussion recently on dev about using a
final transformer step at the end to tidy the
html output into consistent format. Or perhaps
that is the job of the html serializer. Dunno.

Anyway should we do that? Users would get one big
change after they upgraded tp 0.8 and thereafter
the changes would be minimal and output would be
consistent. A side-benefit is that it is human-readable.

-David