forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject dispatcher documentation (Was: submitting patches)
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:56:04 GMT
Paul Bolger wrote:
> Thanks David, I'll try that next time. I'm intending to write up those
> css linking rules, if I can work out what the current status is!

> I'm
> wondering whether a 'views quick reference' page would be appropriate.

Good idea, but call it Dispatcher.

This could link in with the main Glossary. Or perhaps
the new Glossary plugin be able to restrict output to
certain topics.

We always start to invent new tools when we talk about
documentation. That Glossary plugin sounds easy, Ross has
added the resources but not built a plugin. So if you feel
up to following the Howto-buildPlugin then try that.
It would teach you heaps about Forrest.

However, it would be be fine to just start with a simple
manual document for now and we can extract that info later.

> Also, I'm finding the 0.8 docs are getting a bit cumbersome: we have
> 'views development' in the top level index, and dispatcher in the
> howtos; and 'old views' as well. I think it would be a good idea to
> standardise on some terminology (and the v1, v2 etc is as good as
> anything right now). How about we rename 'old views' to v1 and add a
> v3 section?

It needs a complete cleanup. We need to rationalise
the current documentation and remove the old documentation
completely. When we release 0.8 then we will only have
one implementation of Dispatcher, i.e. current development.

So the old v1 and "views" documentation will go away.

I reckon move the documentation into docs_0_80
and some of it could move out of the howto into
normal docs.

-David