forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creating documentation (Re: Link to CSS howto-structurer-dsl.html)
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:26:04 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> (this is a general comment not at all aimed at the authors of these
> mails - since I'm in that group)
>
> Why is it that people take the time to write clear documentation like
> this but nobody puts it into a document?
>
> Someone, please get this into documentation within the structurer
> plugin.

Even if it is just a placeholder <fixme> note that has a link
to the mail thread. If one cannot manage that, then add a Jira
issue (which would perhaps take more effort).

> Note that it need not be the person who posts the solution,
> maybe the person asking the question could help too.
>
> (remember this is *not* aimed at people in this thread, it's a general
> point that I often wonder about).

Perhaps we should each ask ourselves that question.

For me, i used to have good documentation contribution
habits, which have slipped. This is what got me joined
to the Cocoon community. When i answered a technical
question then i would do it by adding to the relevant
documentation, then copying that for the email. Sometimes
the other way around. Follow up with tweaks, then send
the patch.

Why did the habit slip? Became too busy i suppose.
More likely forgot the benefit.

That is actually silly because that technique, of answering
a question by going to a bit more effort, is a huge
community-builder. Consider the multiplication factors.
If each of us did a little, then our improved documentation
would mean no need for repeat questions and we can move on.

If people ask the question again, then we can just
provide the URL or copy the text.

-David