forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: resolving mechanism for *.fv files (Was: Views)
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 03:03:25 GMT
Paul Bolger wrote:
> > Edit the doc (retain existing whitespace
> > or your patch will be unreadable).
>
> Just to clarify, do you mean I need to keep the odd, mid-sentence, linebreaks?

Yes. In general don't touch any existing formatting,
just add your new stuff.

We need to be able to see the exact differences to
the file.

If someone does want to fix up
messy formatting then that must be done in a separate
patch with no other changes.

Yes line breaks are important. Long multi-line
paragraphs are horrid because when someone changes
just one word then the diff will contain lots of extra.
Here is an example. To give a hint, i changed two capital Ps
to lowercase.

---------------------------
[anziso]$ diff 1.txt 2.txt
1c1
< This is a long Paragraph all in one line. This is a long Paragraph all in one line. This
is a long Paragraph all in one line. This is a long Paragraph all in one line. This is a long
Paragraph all in one line.
---
> This is a long paragraph all in one line. This is a long Paragraph all in one line. This
is a long Paragraph all in one line. This is a long paragraph all in one line. This is a long
Paragraph all in one line.

-David