forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tuning the logfiles (Was: (FOR-702))
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:58:15 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler commented on FOR-702:
> > ----------------------------------
> >
> > Right now the locatonmap logs are being duplicated in the
> > linkrewriter, the locationmap and the core logs. This is a
> > waste of resources, we need to make them appear in just
> > the locationmap log. I guess this is a logkit.xconf setting
>
> Yes it is managed by logkit and easily changed.
>
> However there is a reason for that duplication.
>
> The locationmap.log provides only locationmap
> messages, so that they are easily to focus on.
>
> Whereas core.log provides the full context.
> It is important to be able to see the requests
> that spawned the locationmap requests.
>
> I don't agree that this duplication is a waste of resources.
> This only happens if the developer deliberately sets
> the level to be DEBUG in logkit.xconf
>
> Set DEBUG on the core.log so that locationmap
> messages go there along with everything else.
> If you want to also see the locationmap messages
> separately, then also raise its log-level.

Sorry, i only answered part of the issue.

Why also duplicated in the linkrewriter log?

I don't know. These separate logs were added
when trying to debug the Linkrewriter issues
with the JXPath bug. I found these logs useful
so left them configured.

Now there must have been a reason for the
duplication. Probably the same reason as above:
"to provide context".

I just made a commit which commented that one out
as an example of how to gain more contextual info.

-David