forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject tuning the logfiles (Was: (FOR-702))
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:42:16 GMT
Ross Gardler commented on FOR-702:
> ----------------------------------
>
> Right now the locatonmap logs are being duplicated in the
> linkrewriter, the locationmap and the core logs. This is a
> waste of resources, we need to make them appear in just
> the locationmap log. I guess this is a logkit.xconf setting

Yes it is managed by logkit and easily changed.

However there is a reason for that duplication.

The locationmap.log provides only locationmap
messages, so that they are easily to focus on.

Whereas core.log provides the full context.
It is important to be able to see the requests
that spawned the locationmap requests.

I don't agree that this duplication is a waste of resources.
This only happens if the developer deliberately sets
the level to be DEBUG in logkit.xconf

Set DEBUG on the core.log so that locationmap
messages go there along with everything else.
If you want to also see the locationmap messages
separately, then also raise its log-level.

-David