forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: resolving mechanism for *.fv files (Was: Views)
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 04:08:25 GMT
Paul Bolger wrote:
> I don't mind having a go, but I'm not sure where that doc is.

At the moment we have these docs. Not sure which doc
it should go in. You can decide. Don't worry too much
if it doesn't quite fit. Just add a new section, we can
move that section later if we decide to restructure the docs..

cd forrest-trunk/site-author/content/xdocs
 docs_0_80/howto/howto-structurer-install.html
 docs_0_80/howto/howto-structurer-dsl.html
 docs_0_80/howto/howto-structurer-contracts.html

> I gave
> it a try and yes, common.fv seems to work. I haven't checked the
> others yet, and won't write it up until I've tested it.
>
> Re. the SVN: I
> have it installed and it seems to work (I'm using the tortoise
> extensions).

Command-line svn is sufficient, but whatever.

> I'm more unclear about protocols, if I edit one of the
> Howtos how do I submit it? If I'm unsure about whether something is
> correct how do I pass it on for a second opinion?

Just do ...
cd docs_0_80/howto

Edit the doc (retain existing whitespace
or your patch will be unreadable).

View the changed doc with 'forrest run'.

svn diff > mypatch.txt

Then go to Jira and add a new Issue, attach the patch.
That enables anyone to apply it to their local system.
http://forrest.apache.org/issues.html

Look at the work that Addi did recently with the
tools/forrestbot.xml
She added <fixme> notes for bits that needed attention
or that she was unsure about. One of the committers
applied that patch and addressed some of the fixmes.
The other fixmes can be gradually addressed on the dev
mailing list.

Most times we will apply the patch and then talk about
fixing anything.

Don't try to do too much in one go.

-David