forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Views
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 06:00:07 GMT
On Sunday 04 December 2005 9:08 pm, Paul Bolger wrote:
> [views: .fv files] Is there a way to specify one .fv file for multiple
> input files, or does every page need an individual file?

Yes. If you search through the archives, you'll find several emails from
Thorsten covering the resolving mechanism. I believe its something like this
(this is not authoritative, but indicative):

o for pagename.html, first check if pagename.fv exists
o if not, look for themename.fv in the resources/themes directory
o if not, use default.fv that ships with Forrest.

In addition, I believe its possible to specify per directory view files as
well. I'll try to find the appropriate thread and post it here. But do search
the archives, you'll find plenty of information.

> [views:modify html classes] I'm trying to work out where css classes
> are being inserted, specifically in content-main.ft, because I'd like
> to modify local versions to skip a lot of the superfluous ones.

Some css classes are generated by the contracts themselves. Others are
generated by forrest:hook in view files. Views tries to do everything using
CSS, so it should be easy to structure your CSS around views.

> [views: no css] Is there a way, yet, to set views to produce no css at
> all? I notice there was some discussion about this a few months ago,
> but couldn't find any reference to it happening.

I'm not sure I understand. You can choose to use no css if you so wish --
views doesn't impose any CSS on you. It generates divs with CSS class, but if
your theme doesn't import any CSS or doesn't specify any extra-css, then
you'll get a site with no CSS.

> [indent html]  Where would one put the indent="yes" attribute to get
> Forrest to output indented html?

I'm unable to recall any such attribute in views right now. It _is_ possible
to use JTidy to indent the generated HTML -- but the last time I tried it, I
ran into some problems. More details on this later. For now, I'd say you are
better off just running tidy on your own, after Forrest is done generated the
HTML.

> [views: naming]  I'm confused! Themer, v2, structurer, views,
> dispatcher  - are these all the same thing?

Views are still evolving, and there have been several iterations/discussions
over naming. I admit it can be confusing at first. IIUC, the official name
for the whole framework is Dispatcher (aka v2). Views was the first
implementation. Structurer is one component of the dispatcher framework :)

> [apache copyright] Finally, and this is probably heresy, is it really
> necessary for all the config files to have a whole screen of Apache
> copyright/disclaimer info at the top? Can't it be one line at the top
> and more at the bottom?

The config files that ship with the distro have the copyright notice. I don't
think (IANAL, so please correct me if I'm wrong) you need to have that
copyright notice in any config files that you write yourself.

Diwaker
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net
On Apache: http://people.apache.org/~diwaker