forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: dispatcher documentation (Was: submitting patches)
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2005 02:16:42 GMT
El dom, 18-12-2005 a las 11:56 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Paul Bolger wrote:
> > Thanks David, I'll try that next time. I'm intending to write up those
> > css linking rules, if I can work out what the current status is!
>
> > I'm
> > wondering whether a 'views quick reference' page would be appropriate.
>
> Good idea, but call it Dispatcher.

+1

> This could link in with the main Glossary. Or perhaps
> the new Glossary plugin be able to restrict output to
> certain topics.
>
> We always start to invent new tools when we talk about
> documentation. That Glossary plugin sounds easy, Ross has
> added the resources but not built a plugin. So if you feel
> up to following the Howto-buildPlugin then try that.
> It would teach you heaps about Forrest.

Actually you could do such glossary stuff with a single contract IMO, no
need for whole plugin, but David is right I started views as a plugin
and learned a lot about forrest in general by this.

> However, it would be be fine to just start with a simple
> manual document for now and we can extract that info later.

+1

> > Also, I'm finding the 0.8 docs are getting a bit cumbersome: we have
> > 'views development' in the top level index, and dispatcher in the
> > howtos; and 'old views' as well. I think it would be a good idea to
> > standardise on some terminology (and the v1, v2 etc is as good as
> > anything right now). How about we rename 'old views' to v1 and add a
> > v3 section?
>
> It needs a complete cleanup. We need to rationalise
> the current documentation and remove the old documentation
> completely. When we release 0.8 then we will only have
> one implementation of Dispatcher, i.e. current development.

We are very close to be able to release a first implementation of the
dispatcher and 0.8. Actually a general cleanup of all views related
stuff will start very soon (we need to finish updating v2 contracts to
v3, to be able to remove plugin resources)

> So the old v1 and "views" documentation will go away.

+1

> I reckon move the documentation into docs_0_80
> and some of it could move out of the howto into
> normal docs.

Yes, I think we need a introduction document to the dispatcher that will
replace all existing "top-level" documents of views, leather-dev, ...

> -David

salu2
--
thorsten