forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HEADSUP] v2 will be not working anymore
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:56:12 GMT
El sáb, 17-12-2005 a las 11:25 -0800, Mark Eggers escribió:
> Thorsten,
>
> I don't know how comfortable you are with subversion.
> Wouldn't a branch be good for this?

Yes, I generally agree to use a branch for radical changes which
interfere with a unknown quantity of components. Since one of the aims
of the dispatcher is to provide enhanced maintenance behavior there is
actually no need to create a whole copy of forrest when we are changing
1% of the code.

To "just" create v3 was much more efficient and demonstrates the
strength of the dispatcher.

> I'm thinking, branch, hack, test, merge.

Actually I was faster. ;-) There is v3 in the trunk which is working
with the new dispatcher transformer. I have not announced it because
till now it supports only the common theme and not yet the pelt theme
(we need to port the remaining contracts to v3). Another point is that I
want to base v3 on xhtml2 documents instead of xdocs. I am working ATM
on this.

> Since you
> are the primary (only?) person working on the views
> plugin would this create a merge challenge?

No, I am not the only one, maybe the most active, but without the
forrest dev community there would be no views. If you have subscribed to
the svn messages then you will find that shortly before I created v3
e.g. Cyriaque enhanced the v2 plugins.

Anyway no merge needed, should not have been a challenge but it would
have cost much more time. ;-)

> Just some random thoughts from a (mostly) reader of
> the dev list.

Cheers Mark.

salu2