forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Whiteboard usage - rename it to incubator
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:04:08 GMT
El vie, 02-12-2005 a las 08:22 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Ross Gardler escribi??:
> > > By definition whiteboard stuff is not supported by the Forrest
> > > community, so people use it at their own risk. If something in
> > > whiteboard gets enough community support then it will migrate into
> > > trunk. That move would be where we take a vote.
> >
> > The migration is not only community but as well code related.
> >
> > IMO we really should consider renaming whiteboard to incubator, because
> > it is the place to develop not only new code but as well a community
> > around it.  Should I call a vote?
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> Just discussing the proposal will be sufficient.
>
> Why does it need a name change?

Because the name is not reflecting what is does. A whiteboard means in
my dictionary something completely different then the function of the
whiteboard in forrest. IMO the name is *too* misleading to keep it. Like
I wrote some time ago, e.g. in the incubator the whiteboard is a link to
the wiki (which makes sense).

>  We could just add
> to the Guidelines document to explain what we mean
> by "whiteboard" and what are the conditions for
> moving stuff into trunk.

Hmm, we should do this anyway, even if we change the name. My point is
that the name is not appropriate for reflecting the usages.

> -David

salu2
--
thorsten