forrest-dev mailing list archives

From mueller....@gmx.net (Fabian Müller)
Subject Re: docbook documentation splittet in several chunk
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 01:12:36 GMT
Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:

> If you are willing to work at it we could advise on how to get a
> chunking plugin together.

I am willing to do what I am able to do and that is not much as you
have realized ...

> Have you tride using the simplified-docbook plugin for it?

I had not tried the simplified-docbook plugin before I read your
message. Now I looked at it and realized once again that Forrest is
great software but often difficult to use for me and the documentation
is difficult to understand for me.

I downloaded
org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplifiedDocbook-0.1.zip,
extracted the file and typed "forrest" in the root directory of the
extracted directory tree. The build was successful. Then I replaced
the content of the sample file "sdocbook.xml" with my tutorial.xml
which is attached to this posting. This time the "validate-xdocs" part
showed a lot of error messages. Here are only a few of them:

/home/fabian/src/sd/src/documentation/content/xdocs/samples/sdocbook.xml:5:17: Document root
element "book", must match DOCTYPE root "article".
/home/fabian/src/sd/src/documentation/content/xdocs/samples/sdocbook.xml:5:17: Element type
"book" must be declared.
/home/fabian/src/sd/src/documentation/content/xdocs/samples/sdocbook.xml:7:11: Element type
"bookinfo" must be declared.
/home/fabian/src/sd/src/documentation/content/xdocs/samples/sdocbook.xml:24:10: Element type
"chapter" must be declared.
/home/fabian/src/sd/src/documentation/content/xdocs/samples/sdocbook.xml:26:10: Element type
"sect1" must be declared.
/home/fabian/src/sd/src/documentation/content/xdocs/samples/sdocbook.xml:28:12: Element type
"sect2" must be declared.

So I guess that simplified docbook is not the correct way to go
here. I appears that it is not possible to use these <sect1> and
<sect2> tags for example. But these are used in each of my xml docbook
files.

What I liked before whas the fact that I was able to use the same xml
file for the xsltproc command and for forrest. It appears that this is
not possible with simplified docbook. That is not the best thing
because it is very nice to have an xml file that can be integrated in
Forrest without the need to change it. That's why I used to docbook
stylesheets directly.

I hope you understand what I wrote ...

Fabian Müller