forrest-dev mailing list archives

From mueller....@gmx.net (Fabian Müller)
Subject Re: docbook documentation splittet in several chunk
Date Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:29:01 GMT
Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> writes:

>>>But what is the *source* returned. This is only what your browser
>>>tries to o when rendering.
>> The source contains one line:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
>> There is nothing more.
>
> No wonder it doesn't work then. You need a stylesheet that actually
> outputs something for Forrest to work with. As Kevin pointed out this
> stylesheet creates multiple files, they are, most likely written to
> disk.

Thank you Kevin, thank you Ross.

Now I understand the problem but I have no idea how to solve it. I
knew that this xsl stylesheet outputs several files. But I was not
really aware of the fact that these are at once stored at the disk
which has the affect that there is no data available that Forrest
could work with.

But would it help, if the stylesheet would not write files to the disk
but outputs the data for further processing by Forrest?
Then it would be Forrest's task to save the several files and I guess
that it would be Forrest's task to choose a name for each of the files
as well. (Forrest had to find out the name for each file by looking at
the links in the generated (x)html documentation I guess.)
How would Forrest know that the input data should be stored in several
files on the disk and that these files are all linked.

As I wrote my initial post I thought that there must be a simple
solution for this question like "write this and this and it works"
because I thought that it is a frequently used and requested
feature. But know I guess that my assumption was wrong. What do you
think? Isn't that what I want to do a quite basic wish for a lot of
users?

Fabian Müller