forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forrestbot problems
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:38:27 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>
>> I've still never been able to update our public site with Forrestbot.
>> I periodically retry, thinking I'm doing something wrong but no luck.
>> It consistently fails in the deploy phase of the instructions in /etc.
>>  I've pasted the output below.  We've gone through this before
>> unsuccessfully but I'd really like to be able to get this working.
>>
>> Because of the Authorization Fails error that I get towards the end I
>> decided to see if I could manually update the site by committing a
>> single set (pdf+html) of changes on a single document.  That too
>> failed because of "inconsistent line endings" -- maybe that
>> authorization thing is masking a line-ending problem?  Or, maybe I've
>> got multiple problems?
>

> I'm afraid to say I have never tried updating using the forrestbot -
> sorry David.
>
> However, your line endings problem rings a bell and I note you are on
> Windows. When I was doing the code to auto-deploy the plugin docs I got
> the same/similar problem:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=110468471529182&w=2
>
> There is currently a workaround in place that fixes the problem, but we
> could really do with resolving this issue. Especially now that it seems
> to have arisen again in a different context.
>
> There is an issue for this at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-492

Re-reading the above linked thread I feel fairly sure this is the same
issue. The last mail in that thread links to a XALANJ issue David
discovered:

David says:

I don't know if this is related, but thanks Google and mail-archive.com:
"line endings" "xsl:comment" ...
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANJ-656
"<xsl:copy> introduces inappropriate line-end characters processing
comments".

Reading that issue it looks like it is the cause of our problem. I would
also suggest the fix in the plugins build file (fix line endings using
an ANT task) would be a suitable workaround here.

Ross

Ross