forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <>
Subject Re: how to include additional classes (e.g. from sdocbook)
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:00:58 GMT

We need to differntiate two things: HTML and CSS.

In HTML all elements may have *more than one class* assigned,

In CSS these may be formatted independently like Ross pointed out:
  .quote {text-indent: 3em;}
  .poem  {text-align: center;}

In CSS: If you do
  .quote .poem { text-indent: 3em; text-align: center; }
this means something different:
  "elements with class 'poem' *below* elements with class 'quote'"

Note that " " (Space) means something different in HTML and CSS.

So, I believe that my suggestion/commit is perfectly fine.

The best reference I know is [0] (unfortunately mostly in German),
esp. the "Kurzreferenz HTML/CSS".
About browsers not supporting see [1].
Other references below.

Ferdinand Soethe schrieb:
> Hi Johannes,
> glad you brought this up as I was playing with the idea of using it as
> well.
> And I had the same question marks about browsers not supporting
> it. But I'd use it anyway and expect browsers to live up to standards.
> Especially if there are very few other options to do what you are
> trying to do.
> --
> Ferdinand Soethe

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 *
D-81825 München