forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Summary] Recent proposals around v2
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:04:22 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
>>No, I had a simple transformer that was "just" transforming the
>>contracts into the position where it could be found.
>>
>>I wanted to check that in but started to clean the code and added
>>comments. Doing this I then started to apply recent proposals and it is
>>not that easy. ;-) The challenge is to create a DOM result with SAX
>>events out of attributes of contracts and the structure path of the
>>hooks and then inject it again in the SAX result stream. I hope to have
>>a first version ready after the weekend.
>

> I don't know what i am talking about, but ...
>
> Will creating an intermediate DOM cause a bottleneck?

I've been waiting for a response from someone who knows this stuff
better than me, but it's not come. I'll try a response and wait for a
more educated fellow to tell me I'm wrong ;-)

Yes. It will cause a bottleneck. Those who know the early Cocoon will be
aware that in Version 1.0 it used DOM in 2.0 it moved to SAX because of
performance problems with DOM.

My intention was to see the code and then try and make a suggestion as
to how we can avoid this bottleneck. I'm guessing there is a good
technical reason for needing a DOM.

Perhaps Thorsten could let us know more about this problem and see what
we can come up with as a community.

Ross