forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Additional features in scales-skin
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:41:50 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> A few clients asked for a change in the functionality of Forrest
> menus. They'd like a menu selection not only to open that menu, but to
> select an index page at the same time.
>
> And while this contradicts the no-reload concept of Forrest menues, it
> makes a lot of sense in some use cases.
>
> So I've added two new features to the scales skin that could check in
> rather soon:
>
> type='openFirstChild'
>
> By adding the attribute type='openFirstChild' to a menu element (that
> is an element that has children) in site.xml, Forrest will now open
> the page referenced in the first child element when you select the
> menu.
>
> new attribute: 'openURL'
>
> To have more flexibilty, you can add the new attribute 'openURL' to
> the menuelement and specify any URI to open when the menu is clicked.
> (Drawback here is that this reference can only be a valid URL since
> this attribute is not yet adjusted like the content of href.)
>
> Below I have added that changes required in scales.
>
> wdyt?

+1 I had to hack a horrible solution to this for the Cocoon docs as
Daisy supports this feature but Forrest does not.

> --
> Ferdinand Soethe
>

> changes to 'book2menu.xsl'

It's much easier to understand the overall impact if you can provide a
diff, I'm not familiar with this part of the skin code so can't see any
potential side effects by your changes since I can't actually see the
changes.

Anyway, since it's going into a new skin for testing I'm +1

Ross