forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject [IMPORTANT] Licenses and SVN (Re: svn commit: r348114 - in /forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.Resume/src/documentation/content/xdocs: resume.xml site.xml)
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:46:37 GMT
diwaker@apache.org wrote:
> Author: diwaker
> Date: Mon Nov 21 23:23:21 2005
> New Revision: 348114

> Log:
> Added sample resume. Obtained from
> http://xmlresume.sourceforge.net/examples/example2.xml
>
> PS: do I need to add a license for this? I hope not. I mean we can always create our
own sample from this skeleton. This is just to get things started.

I'm going to try and answer this, others will correct any mistakes I
make - we never stop learning about this legal stuff.

We cannot put anything in SVN if it is not released under a compatible
license - even if it is temporary. SVN has a history and our
users/developers assume everything in any part of our SVN is under a
ASL2 compatible license.

If something is not under the ASL2 license and is the copyrights are not
owned by the ASF then we *must* attach a license file as per the
conditions of the items license.

If you are unsure then one should ask before committing. Ask first on
the projects dev list and if we don't know the answer then escalate it
to legal@a.o

----

In this case the license *is* ASL2 compatible and the file already
includes the necessary license header, so all is OK.

Ross