forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deployed plugins with wrong version number
Date Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:23:12 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

>>>Ross, i needed to go back to 2 months ago. The projectInfo
>>>plugin started to use the locationmap at r278579
>>>and we must have accidently deployed it as version 0.7
>>>rather than as 0.8-dev
>>>
>>>Anyway, i redeployed that old input.projectInfo and
>>>redeployed the output.POD and output.Text plugins from
>>>yesterday.
>>>
>>>Then the site-author build worked fine using forrest-0.7
>>>
>>>Then re-deploying the version 0.8 of the projectInfo
>>>plugins caused the error again.
>>
>>The "fetch-versioned-plugin" ant target doesn't do anything
>>so it gets the unversioned 0.8 version and so fails.
>

> Oh, i was expecting it to magically figure out which
> version of the plugin it needed. Not so.
>
> We need to explicitly tell it in forrest.properties
> to use org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo-0.1
>
> Does this mean that every 0.7 user of the projectInfo
> plugin will need to upgrade their forrest.properties ?

The intended behaviour is:

If a version is specified download that version from the correct plugins
distribution directory.

If no version is specified download the unversioned plugin from the
correct plugins distribution directory.

---

There are a few things that could be going wrong. I have no time to
check right now:

a) plugins are deployed correctly, but downloaded incorrectly

b) plugins are deployed incorrectly, but downloaded correctly

c) plugins are deployed incorrectly, and downloaded incorrectly

We need to find out which is which. If I remember correctly (and this is
from memory, so may be incorrect in the finer details) it works like this:

deploy
------

If there is a "-dev" in the plugin version number in the plugins
build.xml file, deploy an unversioned copy in the distribtion directory
identified by the Forrest build number in the plugins build.xml

If there is no "-dev" in the plugin version number in the plugins
build.xml file, deploy a versioned copy in the distribtion directory
identified by the Forrest build number in the plugins build.xml

install
-------

If no version number specified in forrest.properties download the
unversioned plugin for the version of forrest specified in Forrests
build.xml.

If a version number is specified in forrest.properties download the
versioned plugin for the version of forrest specified in Forrests
build.xml. If the specified version cannot be found, fall back to the
unversioned one.

NOTE
====

The version number in the plugins.xml is only for documentation. It
should really be generated from the info in build.xml, but I've not got
round to doing that yet: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-533

Ross

Ross