forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SmartSlides Input PlugIn (aka SlidyPlugin)
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:15:49 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>site: I don't see this as the case, your input plugin takes your new
>>schema and creates our internal format, so only documents the new
>>schema, there is no need to document what it is converted into internally.
>

> No, but I'd basically have two sites with the same examples and docs.

The source for the output plugin should be our internal format,
otherwise you would be creating a dependency between the two plugins.
The idea is to show what an internal format document should look like.

>>grammar: why is this needed on the output side? The output plugin should
>>only work with our internal format.
>

> Well no. My last conclusion of our discussion was that the output
> plugin will transform my new schema to the final slidy output.

No, that was not what I meant. All processing should go through our
intermediate format otherwise we lose the many inputs to many outputs stuff.

Input -> XSL -> internal format -> xsl -> output format

> Main reason for this being that I saw no way of transporting
> all the data from my grammar through the limitations of docVxx.

I bet I can :-)

Give an example or two of problems.

> Later on there will be two transformations in the output plugin
>
> smartslides --> slidy

No - that breaks our processing definition in our TR

> xhtml       --> slidy

if you mean XHTML2 and are referring to the future internal format OK.
Otherwise, no for the same reason.

Having said this, I know you are doing this for ApacheCon and I know you
are therefore on a deadline. While the plugin is in whiteboard we can do
what you need to do in order to meet your deadlines. I am only saying
what we need to have in order for it to come out of whiteboard. So, as
long as we are moving towards a processing pipeline as defined in our TR
we can cut corners in the short term.

>>documentation: isn't this the same as site?
>

> hmmm, yes. Not sure why I mentioned it twice.

:-))

Ross