forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: vague issues with Forrest use
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 00:29:17 GMT
Paul Bolger wrote:
>>I agree, to an extent, with your observations. However, are you aware
>>that Eclipse can be deployed with a specific set of plugins (and minus
>>all the IDE stuff). This makes it reasonably lightweight and highly
>>focussed on a specific task.
>

> I think if there were some way to avoid the online software
> installation process (which in my case always seems to end up timing
> out half way through the procedure, or not being able to find some of
> the components) my Eclipse experiences may have been better.

That's what an Eclpse RCP (Rich Client Platform) applcation is. Eclipse
is an application framework, it just happens to be most commonly used as
for development application.

> Point taken. Maybe this is another red herring, but would an Xforms
> front end for site.xml be possible?

Yes (or rather yes to Cocoon Forms). I've been thinking about this, on
and off for a long time, but never really got started on it. The main
problem is that I've so far failed to get Cocoon Forms running alongside
Forrest.

I do think this is the way to go since it would be self hosting within
Forrest itself.

Ross