forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: vague issues with Forrest use
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:02:03 GMT
Paul Bolger wrote:

>>>Have you any suggestions about what this may look like?
>

> Not sure how technically possible this is, but how about a directory
> parser which builds the site nav?

I replied to this in the new thread David created.

>>No, unfortunately I haven't thought too hard on it and I have limited
>>coding skills to even know what can be done.  I just know that as soon
>>as I try to explain to coworkers how I add things their eyes sort of
>>glaze and they wander off to do something else.
>>

>>>Have you taken a look at the Eclipse plugin? This is a (very early
>>>development) of a GUI application for editing of things like site.xml.
>>>It works, but is a long way from perfect.
>

> Personally I don't like Eclipse much, takes ages to start, always
> seems to be missing some plugin which takes half a day to locate,
> slow. Would a Jedit plugin be possible? I use Jedit a lot as an HTML
> editor -  largely because it has some great helper plugins like Xilize
> - and it works fine even on my slowest machine.

I agree, to an extent, with your observations. However, are you aware
that Eclipse can be deployed with a specific set of plugins (and minus
all the IDE stuff). This makes it reasonably lightweight and highly
focussed on a specific task.

I too like JEdit, but it is not possible to build a rich client
application in JEdit, it's an editor not an applicaiton framework. I too
use it a great deal for editing XML, but I can't see it solving the
problems of the user who can't find their way around out XML
configuration files.

Ross