forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Target version numbers in Jira
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:51:43 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > >
> > >One trouble is that many issues will get hidden in the
> > >"Unscheduled" bag. I don't see how we will know what
> > >issues have priority.
> >
> > Yes, I agree. I almost started to move issues from 0.8 into the
> > unscheduled bag yesterday. But I stopped myself because of this very
> > thought. I think we can make better use of the priority field as well.
>
> Lets try that.
>
> > Something like:
> >
> > Trivial: if this issue botthers you - then fix it because it'll take us
> > a while
> >
> > Minor: OK so this is a recognised issue, but we don't think it affects
> > too may users - don't hold you breath for a fix
> >
> > Major: We consider this important, it will be scheduled into a release
> > as soon as we find a developer with interest and time in this area
> >
> > Critical: This is likely to be fixed reasonably soon, probably in one of
> > the next two releases
> >
> > Blocker: This is an issue that affects many users or is a key new
> > feature, will be fixed in the next release

I started to refine your definitions and add it to:
http://forrest.apache.org/issues.html

However, i hit some snags.

I reckon that Jira has the wrong values or using the
wrong field name. Those definitions are actually referring
to "Severity". The "Priority" is something different.

The ASF Bugzilla does this.
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/page.cgi?id=fields.html#bug_severity
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/page.cgi?id=fields.html#priority

I wonder if we can/should over-ride the default
"Priority" field and call it Severity and add a
new field "DevPriority".

Another problem with Jira is that the quick listings
of Priority on the right-hand side of our front page
give a misleading view of the state of the project.

For example in the Blocker listing, there is one for
the new "voice" plugin. Sure it is a blocker for the
plugin, as it prevents developers from helping with it.
However it is not a blocker for the project as a whole.

-David