forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Summary] Recent proposals around v2
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2005 04:50:01 GMT
This is not in SVN yet right? Just confirming, because I don't see anything
yet... :)

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 2:05 pm, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Contract implementation
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 1) contracts are now standalone, which means that they need to
> match="/".

Sorry I don't think I follow the terminology here :( By stand-alone, you are
implicitly saying that earlier contracts depended on something else? I know
this has something to do with moving processing over from XSLT to Java, but
it'll be great if you can elaborate this a bit :)

> a) If raw data (dataURI) is requested it matches the first element of
> the dataURI.

So a dataURI can contain multiple "elements"? What are these "elements"? Or
did you mean to say that if there are multiple dataURI attributes, the value
of the first one will be used?

> b) If no dataURI is requested the dispatcher passes a dummy document to
> the transformation containing only one element: forrest:foo.

What does the Dispatcher do with forrest:foo then? Is this just an artefact of
the implementation or something more fundamental? In other words, why can't I
have the Dispatcher just use a null value if no dataURI is specified? Just
being curious here, I have no problems with the way it is right now :)

> The attribute @xpath determines that the elements within the content
> container should be insert in a given location. In html for example some
> function need to be inserted into the /html/head and/or /html/body.
>
> The location of the /html/body *normally* is defined through a
> forrest:hook path (we called it structureAware="true"). So I propose
> that

IIUC, this bodes well for the architecture in general. Earlier we had some
discussions on using the terms "head" and "body" in templates since they
seemed to be specific to HTML. By using xpath expressions, we have removed
this limitation completely!

Diwaker
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net