forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT] Licenses and SVN (Re: svn commit: r348114 - in /forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.Resume/src/documentation/content/xdocs: resume.xml site.xml)
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:04:56 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> >Author: diwaker
> >Date: Mon Nov 21 23:23:21 2005
> >New Revision: 348114

> >Log:
> >Added sample resume. Obtained from
> >http://xmlresume.sourceforge.net/examples/example2.xml
> >
> >PS: do I need to add a license for this? I hope not. I mean we can always
> >create our own sample from this skeleton. This is just to get things
> >started.

Even to "create our own sample from this skeleton" we would
need to retain the copyright notice in the document.
The file's license conditions are very explicit about that.

> I'm going to try and answer this, others will correct any mistakes I
> make - we never stop learning about this legal stuff.
>
> We cannot put anything in SVN if it is not released under a compatible
> license - even if it is temporary. SVN has a history and our
> users/developers assume everything in any part of our SVN is under a
> ASL2 compatible license.
>
> If something is not under the ASL2 license and is the copyrights are not
> owned by the ASF then we *must* attach a license file as per the
> conditions of the items license.

And the license of these products must not impose any
conditions that go beyond the Apache License 2.

You mean legal-discuss@a.o

> ----
>
> In this case the license *is* ASL2 compatible and the file already
> includes the necessary license header, so all is OK.

We also put a copy of the license next to the files.

Soon the ASF are going to issue some guidelines
about which licenses are compatible and how to
correctly address this. I gather that we will need
to put a copy of every license into our top-level
forrest/LICENSE.txt file. So we will then need to
revisit our whole codebase and follow those guidelines.

-David