forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Target version numbers in Jira
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 00:54:42 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I suggest that we stop adding target numbers to every issue in Jira. It
> seems that we tend to put a fix version that represents what we would
> like to see, but not what we can achieve.
>
> We need  faster release cycle and one way to do this is to reduce the
> expectations for each release.
>
> So, I propose that we only put a fix version on something once we *know*
> it will be going into the next release. In the long run this will save
> us allot of time during the release process sorting out the issue tracker.

And how will we "know"?

The way that we have been doing it until now,
is that the Roadmap represents what we would like
to achieve, while the rest remain in the Unscheduled
state. Approaching release date, we start to
move unachievable issues into the next release and
would try to attend to them next time.

It was working okay when we had a smaller number of
open issues. Now it has become unwieldy.

> Note this does not mean it will take longer to get features into
> Forrest, they will still happen when they happen. It just means we are
> not continually updating fix release numbers and misleading our users.
> For example, XHTML2 was originally scheduled for 0.6!
>
> One exception to this rule should be any bug that is considered critical
> or blocker will automatically go into the next release.
>
> WDYT?

It depends on what we mean by "Roadmap". We should
clearly define that and add it to our Guidelines doc.

One trouble is that many issues will get hidden in the
"Unscheduled" bag. I don't see how we will know what
issues have priority.

-David