forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: vague issues with Forrest use
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 04:11:20 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >I don't quite know the history of Incubator, but i presume
> >that people got excited about eating Apache dogfood and
> >decided to go with Forrest. Perhaps the original proponents
> >moved on. Now it seems that people are not happy with it,
> >finding it cumbersome. I have heard some people say
> >that they can't actually point to any particular thing.
> >Mostly it is just silence and lack of use.
>
> Well, I am moving towards Forrest being able to generate/host multiple
> related sites. I'm thinking that Incubator is the place to work on this.
>
> Wouyld you think this is a good idea.

No. That is not their problem. The top-level
Apache Incubator website is totally separate from
each incubating project. The projects each have their
own SVN and website generation procedures. Some of them
use forrest, some use maven.

> >I don't know what to do about this. At the least
> >i thought to send this mail because the Forrest PMC
> >should be aware that there is something happening that
> >could be damaging for our project. People are gumbling.
>
> We need to encourage them to grumble on ur users lists not on unrelated
> lists. I was not aware, until comments were made on other lists, of any
> problems within Incubator (interestingly there were positive commets
> from the XML people).

That doesn't seem to happen. Many of the grumbles
do happen on other lists.

> >We need to look at ways of making it more user-friendly.
> >It is obviously not easy or the incubator.apache.org
> >issues would not arise.
>
> I am going to join the incubator list next week and try and work out
> what is happening.

I started:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113108607500002
"simplifying the generation of Incubator website"

One major issue has already been identified. I will start
a separate thread here on forrest-dev for that.

-David