forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ouput plugins not based on xdocs (was: Re: svn commit: r344062 [1/2] )
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:05:20 GMT
El lun, 14-11-2005 a las 21:09 +0100, Ferdinand Soethe escribió:
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> > a) this plugin do *not* work with our internal format which is against
> > our TR. I read a proposal of bypassing the internal format, I am -1 on
> > such plugins because e.g. I could not transform my index.xml to the
> > smartSlide output.
>
> The plugin-work-in-progress is still there and unchanged because Ross
> and I decided to wait for other people to comment on the bypass
> proposal and our discussion during these last few days.

A bypassing plugin would IMO not be necessary if the smartSlides would
use e.g. the new xhtml2 internal format. It is new and we still need a
show case of the new power. That means as well that we can propose
extensions to the internal format if we need them for plugins like the
smartSlides.

...and btw the dispatcher contracts already can bypass the core by
contacting any business service (nuggets).

> > b) the outcome of this plugins seems to be plain html, IMO that can (and
> > should) be done via a v2 theme. Why is this no theme?
>
> Is your expectation that new developments make use of features
> that are still under development?

(now personally speaking, no offense nor expectations implied!)

Actually as a "professional" developer I am always trying to use the
newest features for new developments if it makes sense.

That helps me in the future because I know more or less how this new
stuff (new features) work and where the limitations are. That determines
in which use cases I can use them for my customers.

On the other hand by testing the new features I can contribute back my
feedback, which helps the community which developed the feature and be
sure some people are very grateful happily helping with problems that I
may encounter.

That is me personally, but IMO it makes a lot of sense as well for
"hobby" programmers like me in *this* project, trying to bring forrest
closer to 1.0. I can test new features and help develop them. :)

I do not *expect* this attitude from anyone besides myself, but
definitely *appreciate* it if others doing the same.

(btt - back to topic)

Sure v2 and the dispatcher are still under development but that is why
it makes sense to use it in this case. You can provide feedback and we
can give you a helping hand developing a smartSlides theme.

Like said above contracts can contact any given business service. The
only thing that we have to do is, the xsl of the plugin has to be
snippet to contracts (quite easy).

IMO it is better to use already developed or under development features
that can solve the problem instead of creating bypassing plugins.

> If so, how are they supposed to run
> under the current version 0.7? Which was my intention when I started
> working on SmartSlides.

see above I normally develop new features for new releases, but one can
normally backport features to different versions if needed.

salu2

thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)