forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] future of v2
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:36:40 GMT
Hi all,

I am working on some java classes that should become the dispatcher
core. While doing it I thought about the usage of contracts. We are now
doing a parallel processing which has influence on the performance.

Introducing jx:import reduced a wee bit the build time and the recent
update of the lm a lot more. Still it is too slow. Doing some process
consulting on v2 we pointed out that the xsl magic is slowing as well
things down. The idea has to be to slim down the processing.

IMO contracts have to work standalone. Meaning that the dispatcher will
call the contract with the given properties and include the *result* and
not raw-data and xsl.

Now my idea is that a structurer will
a) resolved via lm
b) transformed with jx
c) dispatch and include transformed contracts
d) transform hooks into format specific markup
e) transform all above to the final page

The question is how can we make contracts more generic. One way is to
get rid of head|body="true|false". I thought that each contract has to
provide this information from the resulting transformation.

Like
<forrest:template
xmlns:forrest="http://apache.org/forrest/templates/1.0"
    format="html" name="content-main" inputFormat="xsl">
     <xsl:stylesheet version="1.1" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
       <xsl:param name="content-main"/>
       <xsl:template name="content-main" >
         <head/>
          <xsl:call-template name="content-main-body"/>
      </xsl:template>
      <xsl:template name="content-main-body" >
        <xsl:comment>+ |start content-main +</xsl:comment>
        <xsl:copy-of
          select="$content-main/div[@id='content']/div[@id='content-main']/*"/>
        <xsl:comment>+ |end content-main +</xsl:comment>
      </xsl:template>
	  </xsl:stylesheet>
  </forrest:template>

Then the last transformation e) would only have to clean the html/* stuff.

Why did I told you all above when the subject line is [RT] future of v2?
I wrote as roadmap to update the howtos to recommend the usages.
Now I think that the jx:import stuff that we introduced in v2 is/should be
temporary.

The question is does somebody has *now* the itch to write a new contract howto knowing
that jx:import will be changed and as well how to write contracts (slightly only but still)?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"