forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: dynamic theme switcher (was: svn commit: r329808)
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:01:28 GMT
El mié, 09-11-2005 a las 18:12 +0000, Kevin escribió:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 20:28 +0100, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > El sáb, 05-11-2005 a las 14:43 +0000, Kevin escribió:
> > > My thoughts are:
> > >
> > > branding-theme-switcher-profiler="false" needed a patch attached
> >
> > The problem that I see on the patch is that if you have inline css in
> > your view means that their will always be executed due to the nature of
> > css. Everything that comes last will be used! Meaning that when using
> > inline css you are not able to deactivate them anymore.
>
> Consider a user not using branding-theme-profiler.ft in their view file
> so there is no inline css. User is happy with <forrest:css ... to add
> their alternate stylesheets and would like to use branding-theme-
> switcher.ft to switch them. Setting branding-theme-switcher-profiler to
> false didn't work so the patch (string "false" not boolean false).

Hmm, thx for spotting this, I will have a look ASAP.

> > > If branding-theme-switcher-defaultTheme="Pelt"
> > > In view file have (<forrest:css ...) entries like below:
> > >
> > > url="pelt.basic.css"
> > >   rel="stylesheet"
> > > (persistent | common - Is disabled=true allowed here?)
> >
> > I comment just on this one. A theme switcher should not have common
> > persistent stylesheet because they will interfere with other
> > stylesheets. The current solution is using "common" css only for
> > color-profiling to not adding the basic.css to every profiled css.
>
> If I say another way. Structurer sends a fixed html layout to the
> themer. This is a two column css layout with header and footer (S1).
> Layout/structure is persistent then we switch color. In the future
> structurer may be configurable and deliver a three column layout (S2)
> or even a Netscape 4 implementation using old layer tags (S3) ;)
>
> url="s1.common.css"
>   rel="stylesheet"
> (persistent no title)
>
> url="s1.fonts.css"
>   rel="stylesheet" title="S1-Default"
> url="s1.colors.css"
>   rel="stylesheet" title="S1-Default"
> (preferred have title)
>
> A user may separate concerns from common layout with fonts and colors.
> Collectively these three css are the default theme for that structure.

Still trying to understand.

> > > url="pelt.screen.css"
> > >   rel="stylesheet" theme="Pelt"
> > > (preferred | default - Is disabled=true allowed here?)
> > >
> > > url="pelt.screen.css"
> > >   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="Pelt-Default"
> > > (switchable back to default)
> > >

> > What is the difference between "pelt"? Why 2?
> > What do you mean by disabled=true? Do you mean the jscript disabling of
> > the css? If so yes you can disable evrything. ;-)
>
> Yes disabled=true in jscript. IMO all css with rel="alternate
> stylesheet" will have disabled=true set by browser. IMO css that
> are persistent and preferred are allways disabled=false and
> should not be touched by jscript.

...and here I see a problem. Imagine somebody do not want the
> url="s1.common.css"
>   rel="stylesheet"
> (persistent no title)

the only way to override it to uncomment it in the structurer
definition, right?

> Now the first alternate below
> is to switch colors back to the default if another alternate has
> been chosen. IMO only alternate stylesheets go in the jscript theme
> chooser menu.

That means that:
> url="s1.fonts.css"
>   rel="stylesheet" title="S1-Default"
> url="s1.colors.css"
>   rel="stylesheet" title="S1-Default"
> (preferred have title)
Is always given and all alternate stylesheets have to unimplement the
css definition of this files.

> url="s1.colors.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" title="S1-Pelt"
> (alternate to switch colors back to default)
>
> > > url="pelt.forrest.css"
> > >   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="Pelt-Forrest"
> > > (switchable)
>
> url="s1.colors.forrest.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" title="S1-Pelt-Forrest"
>
> > > url="pelt.collabnet.css"
> > >   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="Pelt-Collabnet"
>
> url="s1.colors.collabnet.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" title="S1-Pelt-Collabnet"
>
> > > url="default.css"
> > >   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="default"
> > > url="leather-dev.css"
> > >   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="default"
> > > (one switchable as both have same title)
>
> url="s1.leather-dev.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" title="S1-Leather"
> url="s1.default.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" title="S1-Leather"
>
> > > IMO default.css and leather-dev.css could be combined together as
> > > leather.screen.css (leather-dev.css turns off - "display: none;"
> > > Pelt specific layout/structure). Is it default.css or common.css or
> > > just another switchable?
> >
> > I agree that we need a cleanup of all this css-files but like Cyriaque
> > already stated I am  -1 to combine them. IMO leather-dev.css and
> > default.css has to go away as soon as I manage to move default to
> > common. Then we need a common.css out of both.
>
> I agree. As Cyriaque said the leather-dev.css is disabling part of
> the layout structure (S1). Though default.css (common) contains Leather
> fonts and colors it would work as an alternate as S1-Leather above and
> below S1-Leather-Hot S1-Leather-Cool. IMO the name default.css (common)
> should be leather-complete.css.

sounds good.

> > > url="leather.screen.css"
> > >   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="Leather-Default"
> > > (switchable)
> > >
> > > url="leather.hot.css"
> > >   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="Leather-Hot"
> > > (switchable)
>
> url="s1.leather-dev.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" title="S1-Leather-Hot"
> url="s1.default.hot.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" title="S1-Leather-Hot"
>
> url="s1.leather-dev.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" title="S1-Leather-Cool"
> url="s1.default.cool.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" title="S1-Leather-Cool"
>
> > > etc.
> > >

> > Color profiling right now is only possible for one theme (the main theme
> > for the current request).
>
> I think it is possible with alternates as above. If my explaination is
> ok. The main theme is S1-Default and alternates are:
> S1-Pelt, S1-Pelt-Forrest, S1-Pelt-Collabnet, etc
> S1-Leather, S1-Leather-Hot, S1-Leather-Cool, etc

Hmm, I see.

> > > If branding-theme-switcher-defaultTheme="default"?
> > > Hmmm I'll look closer at the script to understand this if
> > > idea above is correct.
> > >
> > > I understand if branding-theme-switcher-profiler="true"
> > > disabled set false IMO only when rel="alternate stylesheet"
> > > and disabled set true for other rel="alternate stylesheet".
> >
> > Wow. sorry do not understand.
>
> OK. I've avoided talking about inline css this time.

:)

> > > Is disabled=true allowed here? Was a comment next to
> > > persistent and preferred css above. Would all browsers
> > > allow it? The script works great just trying to understand.
> > >

> > Yes disabled=true is for all browser that support the jscript spec in
> > this regard. IMO to get closer to a real theme switcher we should not
> > use persistent css because they will/can interfere with other css
>
> As above. Yes disabled=true for all but *one* alternate css (the current
> color css or leather) which has disabled=false. I have used persistent
> css in this discussion of css color switching and alternates override
> colors. Then the special case of Leather which needs to disable part of
> the layout and can override fonts and colors.
>
> Not sure what you mean. How will persistent interfere with other css.

You just described how. ;-) You need to "disable part of the layout and
can override fonts and colors." I actually do not really like that. It
feels like a workaround.

> Anyway Thorsten thanks for your help I don't want to side track you
> again from other work.

No, thank you. It is for people like you why I am developing the
dispatcher. ;-) If I get sidetracked that is perfectly alright. No
worries. Anyway, I need to finish the java code around the dispatcher
and will come to this topic. Feel free to submit a patch in the issue
tracker and I will test it.

Thank you again for all the feedback and good thoughts.

> These are my thoughts to get IE and Moz browsers
> to behave the same. Is there someone to test theme switcher with Opera?

Opera is free now, just download it. ;-)

> Kevin
>
> > salu2
> >
> > > Kevin

salu2