forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: dynamic theme switcher (was: svn commit: r329808)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:28:29 GMT
El sáb, 05-11-2005 a las 14:43 +0000, Kevin escribió:
> Sorry Thorsten I got side tracked by prototype.js :)
>
> I'm looking at using branding-theme-switcher.ft to switch <link> css
> only. A corner image solution until corner image in <style> css are
> crawled.
>
> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 01:45 +0100, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > El mar, 01-11-2005 a las 18:32 +0000, Kevin escribió:
> > > If two style sheets are needed to define the complete layout I
> > > think they both need to be rel="alternate stylesheet" and have the
> > > same title. If the idea is to have a common css "pelt.basic.css".
> > > This is made persistant with rel="stylesheet" and no title
> >
> > How would the switch to the default.css (future common.css) work?
>
> My thoughts are:
>
> branding-theme-switcher-profiler="false" needed a patch attached

The problem that I see on the patch is that if you have inline css in
your view means that their will always be executed due to the nature of
css. Everything that comes last will be used! Meaning that when using
inline css you are not able to deactivate them anymore.

> If branding-theme-switcher-defaultTheme="Pelt"
> In view file have (<forrest:css ...) entries like below:
>
> url="pelt.basic.css"
>   rel="stylesheet"
> (persistent | common - Is disabled=true allowed here?)

I comment just on this one. A theme switcher should not have common
persistent stylesheet because they will interfere with other
stylesheets. The current solution is using "common" css only for
color-profiling to not adding the basic.css to every profiled css.

> url="pelt.screen.css"
>   rel="stylesheet" theme="Pelt"
> (preferred | default - Is disabled=true allowed here?)
>
> url="pelt.screen.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="Pelt-Default"
> (switchable back to default)

What is the difference between "pelt"? Why 2?
What do you mean by disabled=true? Do you mean the jscript disabling of
the css? If so yes you can disable evrything. ;-)

> url="pelt.forrest.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="Pelt-Forrest"
> (switchable)
>
> url="pelt.collabnet.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="Pelt-Collabnet"
> (switchable)
>
> url="default.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="default"
> url="leather-dev.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="default"
> (one switchable as both have same title)
>
> IMO default.css and leather-dev.css could be combined together as
> leather.screen.css (leather-dev.css turns off - "display: none;"
> Pelt specific layout/structure). Is it default.css or common.css or
> just another switchable?

I agree that we need a cleanup of all this css-files but like Cyriaque
already stated I am  -1 to combine them. IMO leather-dev.css and
default.css has to go away as soon as I manage to move default to
common. Then we need a common.css out of both.

> url="leather.screen.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="Leather-Default"
> (switchable)
>
> url="leather.hot.css"
>   rel="alternate stylesheet" theme="Leather-Hot"
> (switchable)
>
> etc.

Color profiling right now is only possible for one theme (the main theme
for the current request).

> If branding-theme-switcher-defaultTheme="default"?
> Hmmm I'll look closer at the script to understand this if
> idea above is correct.
>
> I understand if branding-theme-switcher-profiler="true"
> disabled set false IMO only when rel="alternate stylesheet"
> and disabled set true for other rel="alternate stylesheet".

Wow. sorry do not understand.

> Is disabled=true allowed here? Was a comment next to
> persistent and preferred css above. Would all browsers
> allow it? The script works great just trying to understand.

Yes disabled=true is for all browser that support the jscript spec in
this regard. IMO to get closer to a real theme switcher we should not
use persistent css because they will/can interfere with other css

salu2

--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"