forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject Forrest Friday for November (was Re: LaTeX output plugin)
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:29:06 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross Gardler" <rgardler@apache.org>
To: <dev@forrest.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: LaTeX output plugin

| Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
| >
| > Aziz Hammadi wrote:
| >

| >>welcome on board! I'll  try to get started with the plug-in structure
| >>next week and make some suggestion for the LaTeX-Plug-in architecture.
| >

| > This is a really nice idea. I can't wait to see Latex-Quality
| > printouts with proper pagination rolling out of Forrest.
| >
| > Does it make sense to base all transformations on XHTML2 (out soon to
| > be meta-format) rather than document13?
|
| I would love to say yes, but then the danger is not actually getting the
| move to XHTML2 done. We keep agreeing it should be done (for around 2
| years now), but we seem to be failing in actually tackling the job
| because it is such a major task.
|
| At present I am thinking the only way it will ever happen is if we have
| a complete rewrite of Forrest from the bottom up.
|
| Personally, I think the only way it is ever going to happen, with the
| current method of working, is if an individual just does it. How long it
| will be before one of us has that kind of time is anyones guess.
|
| Therefore, I (that is, me as an individual, this is not necessarily the
| view of the community) would recommend using XDoc for fear of waiting
| forever to make XHTML2 usable.
|
| Ross

Well, maybe this can be part of the discussion for Forrest Friday which
happens
to be THIS FRIDAY people, so whos going to make it for any amount of time
and what should the topic of the day be.

My opinion, keep on with http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-184 issues
and
keep XHTML2 as the main focus along with the usual Jira cleanup.

I will be there at various points in time.

Gav...