forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject Re: [Summary] Recent proposals around v2
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:34:37 GMT
Thanks for this Thorsten, ...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thorsten Scherler" <thorsten@apache.org>
To: <dev@forrest.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:05 AM
Subject: [spam] [Summary] Recent proposals around v2

| Hi all,
|
| trying to summarize a wee bit the recent discussion around v2.
|
| forrest:contracts & forrest:properties
| **************************************
| Structurer
| ^^^^^^^^^^
| 1) nuggets (extra data requested by the contract)
| Nuggets are now defined in the contract element instead of in the
| forrest:properties. As well the former @nugget is now called @dataURI to
| reflect better the function of the attribute.
| e.g.
| <forrest:contract name="nav-main-testing"
|        dataURI="cocoon://index.navigation.xml"/>

A light bulb just went on in McDonald Towers :)
All this time, without investigation admittedly I was thinking,
"Nugget, what the hecks a Nugget ??"
Now as dataURI it is very clear.

Just goes to show that for people like me, naming conventions
need to be carefully thought out and made as obvious as
possible. !

| 2) The properties have lost their parent node.
| e.g.
| <forrest:contract name="nav-main-testing"
|  dataURI="cocoon://index.navigation.xml">
|  <forrest:property name="nav-main-testing-test1" >x</forrest:property>
|  <forrest:property name="nav-main-testing-test2" >
|    <foo/>
|  </forrest:property>
|  <forrest:property name="nav-main-testing-test3"
| >xxx</forrest:property>
| </forrest:contract>
|
| Contract implementation
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| 1) contracts are now standalone, which means that they need to
| match="/".
|
| a) If raw data (dataURI) is requested it matches the first element of
| the dataURI.
|
| b) If no dataURI is requested the dispatcher passes a dummy document to
| the transformation containing only one element: forrest:foo.
| e.g.
| <xsl:stylesheet version="1.1"
| xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
|  <xsl:param name="nav-main-testing" select="/"/>
|  <xsl:template match="/" >
|    <content>
|        <xsl:comment>+ |start Tabs new +</xsl:comment>
|        <xsl:copy-of
|          select="$nav-main-testing/navigation/tab/ul[@id='nav-main']"/>
|        <xsl:comment>+ |end Tabs +</xsl:comment>
|    </content>
|  </xsl:template>
| </xsl:stylesheet>
|
| 2) the resulting transformation have to go into a container element
| named "content".
|
| a) We proposed two new attributes for the "content" element (@xpath and
| @structureAware).
| Actually I gave it a second thought and I think it would be better to
| only apply @xpath under the new circumstances of path-prefixing hooks.
|
| The attribute @xpath determines that the elements within the content
| container should be insert in a given location. In html for example some
| function need to be inserted into the /html/head and/or /html/body.
|
| The location of the /html/body *normally* is defined through a
| forrest:hook path (we called it structureAware="true"). So I propose
| that
| <content>
| </content>
| stands for structureAware="true" -> the contract will be injected in the
| path determined by the forrest:hooks.
|
| When the @xpath it set, the container content will be added to the value
| of the @xpath.
| <content xpath="/html/head">
| </content>
| Like element("/html/head").appendChild(newChild).

That seems like a good move to me.

| b) Till now we assumed that all hooks go
| into /html/body but this need to be more flexible. I propose to add a
| new attribute @hooksXpath to the forrest:view. I propose this attribute
| @hooksXpath as required.
|
| <forrest:view type="html" hooksXpath="/html/body">
| <forrest:hook name="htmlBodyHook"/>
| </forrest:view>
|
| that will be transformed into
|  <forrest:hook name="htmlBodyHook"/>
|
| c) We need another attribute in hooks @element which would not create
| a div but the value of @element:
| <forrest:hook element="html">
| <forrest:hook element="body">
|  <forrest:hook name="htmlBodyHook"/>
| </forrest:hook>
| </forrest:hook>
|
| that will be transformed into
|   <forrest:hook name="htmlBodyHook"/>

b) and c) above both transform to the same output ?

I think I need a walkthrough. Like others perhaps I have been both very busy
(had to leave Forrest Friday before I even got started, sorry) and also just
'watching' progress until I begin to understand it.

I need to learn again by doing, I have been gleaning www.xml.com and going
back to
basics with xsl and pipelines as I have been fumbling my way through so far.

Could you possibly, if you ever get the time, walk through for me how to add
an xhtml2
coded page to a v2 site. (or an xml) and what happens along the way.

Thanks

Gav...